Spicy maple sweet potatoes are a quick and easy way to add significant food value to any meal–including a whopping 14,187IU of Vitamin A (vs. a mere 2IU for white potatoes). This recipe is versatile and may be tweaked to taste.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (dark orange-fleshed varieties provide the best nutrition)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp, each salt & pepper
- 1 tsp sambal (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs chopped chives, for garnish
- Wash sweet potatoes and pierce multiple times with a fork
- Place potatoes on a plate and set in your microwave for 8-10 minutes (depending upon the wattage of your unit). Test the potatoes at 8 minutes; if easily pierced with a fork, they are cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, scoop out the flesh and place into a large bowl.
- Mix in the salt, pepper and butter, mashing the potatoes thoroughly with a hand mixer. Slowly add in the maple syrup until potatoes are completely mashed. Add in the sambal a bit at a time, tasting to ensure that you reach the desired level of spice.
- Serve the mash garnished with chives.